Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cinco de Deep-Fried


We stayed with Kellen's friend Kerm in downtown Bellingham, WA and started our short visit with a sneaky lil hike down to some railroad tracks.  Found an abandoned train cart, and had a tossing contest to see who would buy the next beers.  Near noon, Kerm took us to a town called Edison where there was some hidden ramp or something back by some lumberyard?, but it was barred so we grabbed food before going off to another, at a local cafe that was shutting down soon.  I'm thoroughly surprised I haven't turned into clam chowder yet.










Edison, WA




Anyway, I'm banned from skateboarding... mostly for reasons known only to those who have chased me mobbing down a massive hill drunk and barefoot... but mostly  because if I get into it - I become hazardous.  It's exciting when I reach the back of my head and can rejoice in the fact that I didn't split my head open. So I ran off while the guys went to the skatepark down the street and explored the waterfront area of La Conner... a lil fishing town filled with antique shops and oysters and commemorative statues of the town dog.

Cafe Jubilee


I snooped around the post office admiring its Art Deco essence and read my book dockside, til the boys snuck up behind me.  It took what seemed like an hour of mental preparation for the sweat-brigade, but finally decided to overtake happy hour down the street at "1890" and scored some free clams. 









Elizabeth Station, our equivalent of bottle shop

I don't remember the name of this place

Cinco de Deep Fried Burrito


Temporarily lost Kellen after this... he ran off into the dark leaving behind a margarita dust-trail


It was a fairly freakin prime day leading down to Cinco de Mayo, taking a turn for the funky - we got sucked into 'Soul Night' at the Green Frog just behind Kerm's place and up what felt like a mile of stairs.

It was another world, but had all the usual essentials of a college bar dance party... girls giggling on stage who dance for periods of 5 seconds at a time then point at some sad stranger in the audience and recommence woo-ing, the old local (baseball cap) who is dancing to the strum of her own drum focusing on a person?... a spot?... a something - straight ahead, throwing wispy arms everywhere in slow motion, then hip bumping any fool who tries to share that corner of the stage.  But really, the one who took the cake other than awesome-vest-guy (very impressed whoever you are, that sprinkler was to die for) was Keeerm!  One second I'm singing RESPECT with Lucas, and then looking up I see Kerm running up onto the stage and handin out grooves like Britney Spears before she hit 2007. 



Day 2, the van wouldn't start but Kellen at least got it to an Auto shop couple blocks down while I cursed the seagulls outside the window.  They sound like goats gettin tickled - which I feel would be just as horrible of a sound... considering how foggy my brain was and how much I smelled like tortillas.

Kerm got back from work around 9AM, and after much option-viewing we went just around the trees ... to look at more trees at the Sehome Hill Arboretum. Cute lil trails, then onto the Whatcom waterfalls where Kellen napped for a good 30 minutes on a rock.   










More napping at Derby Pond while I played with ducklings, drew trees, and talked to leaves... round 2PM we drifted our way back towards downtown and to the most delicious sandwich place - just a large flat dark grey building with a big space mural-ish looking painting on the side - SPACE ODYSSEY. 




Fell asleep in the car (again).  Woke up to canoe-talk and Mother Nature slapping me in the face.  I had no physical ability to operate my eyes to stay awake for some reason, let alone operate an oar... so I slipped my way out of paddling through a lake that's more choppy than your hipster haircut, and posted up on a bench with my sketchbook and a can of Rainier.  The boys were around and back in about 40 - 45 min or so, and had a suhweeet ending running into a parade of deer... but really I followed them around the road.  















It's been cool Washington, surely one day I'll be totally used to your chilly sunshine and offensive wind... probably third time around... and thanks Kerm for being such a wonderful host :D  

Waterfalls seen: 3
Fences hopped: 1
Deer spotted: 5
vanMeltdown tota: 7.5

KL

No comments:

Post a Comment