Monday, September 2, 2013

City of Cats




Upon leaving for Spain, I've realized I have gotten a little irresponsible with some spending, and havn't kept track of much lately.  It's all been a bit of a blur, but I'll try to pick back up on that now.  Had to take the train to Bordeaux st Jean - that was 22, then a bus to the Airport €6.  Gave in and spent another €6 on food because I was starving, and finally made my way to Madrid.  Traveled with Vueling - smaller cheaper airline than the main ones, as much fun as trains are, with the view ^ I never get bored really...  my ticket was about mmm €140 with one transfer.  Got in at 8, and met with my old volleyball teammate who has been teaching English in Madrid for over a year, and is about to start her second.  The bus from the arrival terminal to her house was only €1.50, and we stayed up catching up and eating cereal.


Sol 



Yes, we'll take the whole thing


lil meat pies to gooo


Cathedral beauty

Gardens by the Palace

my new pride and joys €10

So, Madrid right off the bat has a bright personality.  The food is fresh, the clothing is colorful, and the people hold their heads high and (as tall as they can - most are shorter than me.  They like to have fun, and there's all sort of deals on drinks and food on nearly every day of the week...It's said that people of Madrid are called cats because of a young soldier who scaled the walls (like a cat) of a Muslim temple with just a knife into the stones - replacing the banner with the Christian flag back in 1085 under King Alfonso the ... IV? That's real cute, but in my modern day opinion, everyone's shoutin cat calls.  It's an in-your-face kind of city, where you've definitely got to be on your toes and walkin with some pep in your step.  At the same time, the people are so relaxed and content in taking their time doing whatever it is they are doing, with little care in what anyone else thinks. Then again, I've only had one day here so far before heading to Ibiza...  In contrast to this busy & impressive side to Madrid, there have been some sad sights of not just homeless people, but homeless and without entire limbs.  We saw a multiple men without legs, and one man without arms shaking a cup of coins in his mouth - truly sad, and only makes me wonder how it's all resorted to that.  Maybe I'll figure it out in the next couple weeks when I've had more time here.

KL

No comments:

Post a Comment