Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Twisted Tropics

So, you remember that trust game camp counselors/teachers/bosses would make you play to buddy up with your fellow ill-trusting campmates/classmates/workmates?  Of course there are those who are bestest friends forever! who'll pair up to fall into each others arms eyes closed giggling like hyenas... while the rest of you just stare at the other totally judging every inch of their body if their capable of catching your ass before it smashes into the ground.  Well, at least you got a good look at them.  

We landed in Ibiza early in the morning, and Emily had been in contact with 2 couchsurfing hosts to get as diverse of an experience as possible.  In the beginning we couldn't help but get a little skeptical if not nervous... both were men that of course we had never met or seen before, and with the language barrier (for me) and difference in culture, it looked a little strange at times.  Taking a bus from the airport into the city (line 10) cost €4, and the driver was not the nicest person - very obnoxious in pointing out that we were American and rushing us.  And the stops don't have very readable signs so either you gotta lean up on a window to read them before he passes them or just follow the majority of the people. Before meeting with our first host Marco, we grabbed a coffee and light breakfast when a tall large man approached us puffing a cigar "Oooh hello beautiful ladies where are you from?" I just had a blank stare trying to figure out if this was Marco, but judging from Emily's face it wasn't.  He continued on to say he would get us into Amnesia and this and that asking for Emily's phone number.  The waiter later came out and asked if we gave him a real number - he comes by all the time I guess.

Anyway the real Marco came, a short tan italian man maybe in his mid 20s.  He led us up Dalt Villa behind the stone walls and narrow walkways to his studio.  The architecture was super traditional, some covered in plants or dripping with colorful curtains and laundry.

His studio was not that small, big enough for a full bed and couch small kitchen area and balcony to hang clothes and look down on the alley.  He had been living there since April, and was working in Barcelona for 6 years before.  Since the age of 15 he would be hiding in trains with his friends in Italy to travel and run around.  An interesting man, with a steady moderate energy and enjoyed walking around in his underwear.  We napped for a second and then headed out to explore a bit of Ibiza Town while he stayed in.









It was a cloudy but warm and humid day, and around 11am the shops and streets started to wake up with more tourists and disappointed sunbathers.  I rediscovered... no, that's a lie, I caved into my obsession with beads and shiny things at a local jewelry store - I'd rather not say how much I spent there.  But let me just justify that I plan on making things with them!  They won't just be lying around, that's a promise to the jewelry gods that def rained on us and kept us trapped in the store for a solid 10 minutes.  After that we continued onto Hostel Parque for some fuel to get us through this tripped out weather.  Split half a liter of sangria & shrimp risotto dish for 11.50 each 

The streets of Ibiza were warm even through the rain with the delicious smokey smells of the restaurants and cafes - compared to cities that have that pre-made packaged food to go. People were either brightly dressed or in all white.  The typical bracelet ranges from €5-€8, and other souvenirs €3-€10 but you can always attempt to strike a deal.  The nightclubs of the island even have their own merchandise shops screaming AMNESIA, USHUIA, PACHA. etc.  so neon and ruthless. 
















Come 10PM, we made our way back to Marcos studio, and while he was at work, we napped until midnight, then got ready to head out to Amnesia where he was able to get us in for 30 instead of 50 (as long as we arrive just before 3am...pfft).  It was packed and the dresscode was extremely loose - like Jersey Shore but 15% less orange and 25% less hoop earrings.  It was multiple floors, with multiple DJ stands and lazers blinding you every which way. We lost Marco at this point and danced through the crowd.  A local DJ was trying to get a hold of Emily having seen her in town on couchsurfing... so when a tall sunglassed man approached us like he knew us, I awkwardly greeted him and his friends while he grabbed Em like he indeed did know us.  After a couple attempts of shouting and his hands all over her, Em said "I don't know him!" Oh shit. That's funny, but not really, so we bailed on them.  Finally found this "DJ Rey"- tall dark long hair and beard, led us up to VIP for drinks and talked a bit about all the mayhem that was happening.  He wanted to take us to a different club, Privilege, so with some semiblind trust we went with him, and while squeezing through the sardine crowd I put my hand up to signal Em where we were before we got separated even more, I realized I made a huge mistake.  I reached to my purse, felt the button undone and my wallet gone.

Amnesia

Privilege



Privilege


It was incredibly shitty.  My heart sank to the shithole of Ibiza and I wanted to beat the shit out of everyone. Ugh. Em and Rey tried to retrace the steps because usually they'll grab any cash and throw the wallet away, but no sign.  Yes, I know they're 'professionals' and that it happens all the time, but still - how stupid you feel after something you know you could have prevented is still the same.  There wasn't much I could do except try to dig myself out of my shithole of selfloathing.  Rey was kind enough to let me use his phone to call my bank to cancel my card for me.  And yes, luckily I still had my passport so I won't become one of the hippies stranded on the island of Ibiza since the 70s.

Privilege was way better than Amnesia - the stage and club in general put on more of a performance than just uns uns uns uns DJ this UNS UNS that black light this. It had live singers, drag queens and mixed in plenty of songs before it got repetitive.  Rey took us backstage and we met the singer had some beers and smokes then made our way back out.  She did sympathize with me though saying just the other day in the middle of the day a man had his hand on her purse and her husband freaked on him.  And a friend of Em had her whole bag ripped off her in broad daylight in Madrid.  BOO. 

On a different note, as I was waiting for Em at the top of the stairs of the bathroom - coed - I saw her running up and 2 guys that were just performing onstage grabbing at her. Worried for a minute, but I danced away... later, she said they were about to have sex as she left the stall trying to pass when they asked her to join haha... Yes, literally rollin on condoms as she finished taking a piss next door.  Thus causing some dirty battle wounds on her fall from running.  

The men who live here / go here have a lot of nerve. I mean a tall blonde Italian guy screamed he believed the stars aligned for us and shoved his tongue down my throat, and Rey wanted to marry Em.  Straight or not straight, there's no boundaries here apparently.

Left Privilege around 730AM, hadn't heard from our host Marco, and Rey asked if we'd like to see the most beautiful place on the island.  We weren't too sure... then he just declared "I'm taking you there! Lets go!" Next thing I know we're in the car, driving through trees and up hills and around curves.  I had a feeling we were going to die, and I was carsick - so that didn't help the situation either.  

I woke up an hour later... in the trees and remember thinking to myself 'Fuck... I'm on a mountain where no one can hear me... No one knows where I am'  We parked and he started to lead us down a path.  Okay, great trees bushes, POSSIBLE KIDNAPPERS.  He said "Do you trust me, close your eyes this will be amazing".  I said, "Hah, yah sure. WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES MAN" He laughs... being kidnapped and killed while wearing shitty heels and an old skirt will totally be amazing I'm beyond thrilled.  Fuck that.  Then we heard dogs and voices, looking up into the trees of the edge of the cliff were some people and then where Rey was stopped was a cave and a man sitting in front of it reading a book.  And straight ahead was actually, yes, a very beautiful thing to see at 830AM.






The rock in the middle of the sea was called the 'Magnetic Rock' I think, something that's believed to be all sorts of spiritual and... yeah I was too hungover to comprehend anything but its majesticness.  The cave was decorated promptly like a stand-up nomad hang out, where I guess, anyone could stay, even with a desk and book for people to sign.  I wrote KIM WAS HERE. what the fuck. It was definitely a weird night/morning, we got takin back to Marcos studio where we passed out for a handful of hours before leaving to meet with a man named Israel from Mexico.  Marco was a bit upset with us leaving after one night, but well, it had already been decided.




grabbed a small chorizo sandwich from here for €3

We waited down at the bottom of Dalt Villa by the Hardrock and was approached by Israel, mid 30s, dark hair, and average height.  He was very nice and we walked back with him to pay his tab at a cafe before putting our things in his car.  He had been living in Ibiza for 6 years now? 8?  Working with interior design and construction, and was taking us to the bay where his partner Pepe had a boat.  Yes, a boat that we were to get on.  Me? Still suspicious, but excited.  Very mixed feelings, but maybe it comes with being a girl who can't speak a lick of spanish.

Pepe was a broad shouldered guy, very tan with long curly hair, a waterman for sure - amused with my American accent and how I studied French instead of Spanish - being from San Diego.  After Em's coffee, we set out to the boat.  walking into the bay waist deep, climbed on into it and finally began to relax.  








We zoomed on way out into the sea, with such a deep blue if you stared long enough it could feel like it was night time.  We got drenched with Pepe's driving skills bouncing us all over the waves, finally stopping for us to take a jump in and then Israel got on the waterskis while I stayed back and played photographer.  It was pretty unreal, out there in the middle of the Mediterranean, could feel the miles and miles of nothingness under my feet...

Em tried skiing then Pepe got on and cruised back and forth, til finally we stopped to rest (yes, I got seasick and just baked in the sun) and Pepe tested out some fishing gear before we headed back.  Enjoyed some calamari and fries, and chatted about traveling, couchsurfing and life in general.  These were some really awesome guys who had a lot to tell about not just Ibiza but Spain and other parts of the world.  Very kind and courteous.  Said our goodbyes to Pepe and made our way to Israel's home in North Ibiza.



Pepe

View from Israel's apt





We had plans to go to Ushuia, where Avicii was playing and the party was 5PM-12AM.  Not as late as the others, so Israel was nice enough to drive us back down to Ibiza Town around 7PM where we grabbed some pizza €3 each and then had some drinks at his apartment for rent down there.  Got to Ushuia around 8PM where Em every so smoothly cut probably 200 people and we got in.  There was barely any security check, and it all reminded me slightly of Wavehouse... but without the wave machine.  It got packed and Em and I got separated as I got sucked into the middle-front more and more.

So, that was all fun til I fought my way out to find Emily and the bathroom. Ah yes,the least favorite place on a night out.  The line was stupid long, and one English girl began to climb the wall of the stall into the mens where she was applauded upon being pulled down.  Met some really cool Irish girls too who had me stay and dance with them until I could find my friend.  Saw some girls chase after a guy clawing at him - I'm guessing he tried to rob them, and met some really nice guys from England too.  They said Ibiza is to them like Mexico is for America.  





Found Em and Israel just outside at the end, and we made our way home.  The whole weekend was a blur the next day, and Israel showed us one more beach, beautiful enough to make us contemplate on never leaving.  Ibiza definitely has more going on for it than just its parties.  Through the countryside everyone grows their own food - very self sufficient with their land and homes.  We checked out one of the homes Israel was working on and then had lunch at a place called COMO - which had AMAZING smoothies ranging from €7-10.  Quite possibly the perfect party weekend ... if only some jackass didn't swipe my wallet.  There's a little side process there to get all that figured out, but otherwise the island has been a real treat, and if I ever go back, I'm putting a barbed-wired mousetrap in my purse and packing some hiking shoes.  So many cliffs untouched!  











Thank you Ibiza, Island of Pines for your wackness, and beautiful trinkets and beaches.  And huge big gigantic thanks to Israel for going much out of the way to show us as much of Ibiza as possible during our short stay and being an amazing host.  It was an Experience for sure, with a capital E.  If anyone has seen the episode of Rocco's Modern Life with the Bermuda Triangle... it was pretty much like that.



KL

No comments:

Post a Comment