Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Weight of Existence

Sounds of the Weekend






Went to a sushi restaurant called Jam Jam for lunch during their all-you-can-eat happy hour.  €11.90 per person, featuring a merry-go-round of sushi, noodles, fruits, and deserts. Pretty awesome when you didn't smack your hand against the glass doors trying to snag the plate you wanted.  



Muffin Vitamins



Mail was a pain, but it had to be done. Don't ask me how much my 6kg box of shinanigans cost me... alright it cost €47 but it had to be done, and having the goods inside was well worth it (just go with it and humor me). It cost €3.75 for each of these small packages and I almost lost it when they said they don't accept credit cards when I'm staring at the machine right there. Killin me Germany. So, note to self they don't believe in credit, only debit.  Ridiculous, and of course I'm debitcardless thanks to the ass in Ibiza.

After washing our hands of that madness, we headed to the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe costing €7 and finally accepted my credit card - I'm saving cash for the Train tix and groceries - where it's mostly ever only cash. Oiii god bless.  But there was a good handful of exhibits we wanted to see, and meeting up with another friend of Anna's we started with Steve McCurry and his breathtaking images over the years.



Hi.



McCurry's work blew me away. From Cambodia to India to Tibet and Afghanistan.  His story of finding the woman of his infamous Afghan Girl portrait 17 years later... To capture everything between tragedy, and joy, the painful and thriving, youth and age... I can only wish I could freeze it all the same when I photograph my travels, wanderings, everyday life.  

Nowadays, few can really just let an image be taken of them, without wanting to change themselves or wanting something in return.  Two extremes in a way, therefore altering any meaning the image may have had before. I suppose it's only fair, but at the same time, it would be nice to just trust how the dirt lays on your face, how the emotions shine in your stance, just, how you are - is perfect (otherwise the photographer will just say so anyhow haha)... in all seriousness, I just like to prove something, someone, somewhere exists.  So, shh. be still.

In a nutshell I envy McCurry and how he goes about his profession. To be able to blend in, and show so many diverse areas of life.  It's beautiful, depressing, enlightening, and heavy.  




Art Nouveau rooms for rent







Cairo Exhibit







Inside Out




The rest of the museum was a maze, but enjoyed running through the other exhibits like Name That Thing, Art Nouveau, Inside Out, Cairo, etc til our feet felt like they were going to fall off. Made our way through Humana, a sweet second hand clothing store before climbing the stairs back home (I think there's one in Berlin too?) A great selection of vintage and second hand, but definitely smaller than the Kleidermarkt. Shirts ranging €5 to€15... And if you're lucky you may get to even talk the price down. 

Anna helped me book my way down to Berlin, a 3 hour ride that cost €15 so about the same as a rideshare, but it all depends on the time and whatever you have too.  This is just from the Centralstation of Hamburg (ZOB) to the Berlin Central bus station (ZOB).  



Intimate shit back at the Karussell







CHOWDER




DANKE ANNA & friends. It was a short stay in Hamburg, but I don't think I could have asked for a better transition into Germany!  The people, the food, the art.  Dig it all. It's always refreshing to encounter people will similar aspirations... or let's be a little more broad, people with an aspiration in general. We are, who we surround ourselves with.  And, to me that means we can either drag each other down with fake rainbows and excuses, making a hole in the boat, sink beneath the surface ... or motivate and push each other harder to keep on the path we cut with our own machete! No more distractions.  More room for succeeding. Becoming the person you want to be means nothing if you aren't aware of the kind of person you are now.  

We aren't gettin any younger. 

KL


No comments:

Post a Comment