Sunday, September 15, 2013

Polish Summer at the Karussell

Arrived in Hamburg Friday around 330PM, following the signs for the S-Bahn (green circle with the letter S inside). Single trip ticket cost 1.90 for me to get to Landwehr, where my friend Anna lives.  There's only one direction from the airport station, so I didn't have to think too hard yet. Barely a 15 minute ride and I made it just after a short walk down the street and found her apartment.

But, Anna was away for the day and kindly left her key for me at the shop below.  So, I grabbed those and passed out after chucking my backpack to the ground. Once back to my consciousness, her flatmate Frederike took me to the closest grocery store where I stocked up on some pasta, cheese, eggs, bread, pesto, bellpeppers, other veggies, and water for about €11.50 to last me a couple days. 

Landwehr Station

Anna left me a nice list of things to check out til she came back Saturday evening, and I went off to check out the harbor at Landungsbrücken, a couple stops off the S1.  It was chilly, but at least not raining with street performers out and still plenty of little tours going on with the boats, buses and cameras not far off.  Spent a good couple hours walking all up and down the side of the harbor, then down in between the streets scopin the souvenir shops, restaurants and parks.  


Landungsbrücken














After Landungsbrücken, jumped onto the U3 to Sternschanze, a good place for cafes, food, second hand record stores and clothing.  THEN it rained, and all I had was my blessed beanie and thankfully pants this time.  Less tourists (at the moment granted it's September now), but still ALOT of hussle alongside the concert ads and end of summer sales.  Smell of kebabs and coffees, fries, and clinks of drinks.  Just took my time strolling through whatever looked the most interesting and found some pretty awesome stores.  Wrapped it up going through what looked like a community flea market just starting to pack up for the end of the day. Bottle caps lay ALL over, in between the cobblestone streets adding a nice little glimmer when the sun peaked through. 








Anna returned around 9PM finally, after a grip of traffic due to some bridge construction or something.  Pretty weird seeing her because the last time was during our Fibers final in May - and there I left at the very second it was over because I had to work in SD! Ohh but it was so cool to be reunited, and we got ready to head to her friends bands concert at the bar she worked at, Karussell.

The band is called HiTT, made of two lively girls singing/rapping some really comedic lyrics, in german of course.  Anna did some translating, but I still actually enjoyed the melodies and beats with their emotions pouring out.  It was a small bar, but packed with friends and other bar-goers, smoking inside and laughing at some of the lyrics.  They kind of reminded me of Peaches, granted I didn't understand anything they were saying, just the overall vibe and atmosphere they create with their performance - I found very catchy.

HiTT


Anna, Birgit, yours truly

Bossman Vassili & Anna

Got treated to a Whiskey on the Rocks, and some Polish Summer with Anna and her friends, who were all so nice and welcoming.  Stayed in between the chilly night and warmth of the bar right in front of the door, yes, we were those people, but too bad.  A good handful were also in the process of getting their Masters in Costume Design like Anna, and others working in Business or Fine Arts, so that was really sweet meeting other people with a creative-drive.  All in all amped on Hamburg so far! Cheers!

Polish Summer: moskovskaya, apple, and some sort of leafy thing

KL

No comments:

Post a Comment