Monday, September 16, 2013

When Swans Attack

Karussell


Yesterday Anna, her friend Maxe, and I went to the Deichtorhallen, to check out the exhibition Visual Leader 2013.  It displayed the best of magazines and internet, original advertisements, creative websites, and photo series etc. So the nominees and winners of the "LeadAwards" were presented at Haus der Photographie − the best of what German magazines had to offer in 2011.  




Haus der Photographie

The back of Anna's head







Corey Arnold - Ein Grosser Fang

Jim Mangan - Bedu

Katrien Franken - I Am Near

It was a large exhibition, and no, I did not understand any of the labels, BUT that just made me push my observations.  Maxe helped me realize how articles/ads/photos were categorized  and what led to what.  So, there were other things to look for in these pieces or series to understand what it conveyed (and why it could supposedly be the best from 2011).  




Was gonna have a full day while Anna started school and such, so getting a day pass for €5.80 turned out to be worth it since I'd be using the S-Bahn, U-Bahn and buses.  Checked out the city center more today off Jungfernstieg (U2) where I finally got a sim card for a lil Nokia phone Anna has lent me (my German angel) - 10 credit for texting and calling (9 cents a minute // 9 cents a text).  There's plenty of Vodafone & O2 around so you can keep that in mind if ever you get a pay as you go phone around here.  Bigger shops, more suits, and lovely brands that I am such a sucker for - Monki, Weekday, & Cheap Monday... Oh Sweden steee will I ever escape you? 


Weekday

Creepin on the U-Bahn



Costs 50 cents to take a piss 

Met Anna after her doc appointment at Kleidermarkt, a vintage heaven I was sure to drown in if it wasn't so organized.  From Jungfernstieg, jumped back onto the U2 to Schlump and following clearly marked arrows to the Bus Stops all just around the corner.  Passing through Sternschanze on Bus 15 (they provide books on the bus, yes, books.  on a shelf for special lil you) straight to Max-Brauer-Allee in front of a wash center, it's a lil hidden across the street next to a moto shop.  I would've probably heard birds singing if it was a Wednesday, where there was a happy hour of 30% off! Ahh.  At this point, I just kept my glasses off so I couldn't see more clothes than I could afford.  But for €48 I had snagged 7 pretty amazing pieces of thread so I'm satisfied.

After went just back across the street to get make up supplies for Anna's work - where you had to ring the bell to get inside.  Such high quality, too many euros to risk getting robbed - it was pretty sweet.  007-makeup-life.

Kleidermarkt


Anna gettin her professional make up supplyyyzzzz


Back onto Bus 15 to get to Altona, a more diverse area of Hamburg (people-wise)kind of like a city within a city... so you have your shops, cafes, but also little garage sale-like stands in between with books and knick knacks, independent stores.  Snagged a coffee from Balzac, and Anna took me to a stuffed-potato place called Kumpir. It waaaassss delicious, €3.90 well spent. 


You have no soul, but you have an iPhone



Gelatin-free / Vegan gummys mmm



Baked potato with kidney beans, corn, mushroom, olive, jalapeños, lettuce



Anna running into chums 

Back at Jungfernstieg hunting swans




Anna pretending she has bread 

A prime dime couple of days; art, free candy, shopping (possibly too much), wine, potatos, chocolate covered gingerbread cookies (yes, chocolate covered gingerbread, you're bummed).  Kind of sad to know tomorrow is my last day here!  

KL

1 comment: